Saturday, March 2, 2013

Considerations, Reflections, Aspirations


Considerations, Reflections, Aspirations

     This course has been AMAZING!  Of all of the courses that I have taken at Walden Univ., I am so impressed and grateful with the responses and support that I have received from my colleagues.  This course was a bit difficult for me because I had undergone Carpal Tunnel surgery.  I had to motivate myself to stay on the ball because, I expected nothing less than the best in spite of my physical situation.  I gained  so much support from my colleagues. As I reviewed the responses of my colleagues, I’ve concluded they truly know how to lend support.  Thanks guys because you and my sons are my motivation!

 

     My professional and personal opinion for all children and families is that no matter what their background, sexual orientation, race, creed, ethics, religion, demographics or culture is that one day all PEOPLE can be treated equal.  This is my hope and goal in which I will utilize as the premise of issues related to diversity, equity and social justice in the early childhood field.

 

 


I like your idea about hanging the country's flag and asking the family to volunteer to come in and associate with all the kids. What better way to learn about ones country coming straight from the people who know. Good post!

 


I love this idea. If I were to pick this country I think I would also incorporate the music, food and local traditions. Amazing job.

Jennifer Bisignano

 


I love how you started your blog in first person. It made me want to read more! All of your ideas to make the families feel comfortable were amazing and I know they would truly be helpful! I fully agree with the quote you posted from the book! ""Teachers who create learning environments that incorporate and build upon children's home cultures promote healthy social, emotional, and cognitive development and academic achievement" (2010, p. 61)."
Thanks for the reminder!

 


Yolanda,
You had great ideas. I like how you would invite the child to teach some songs or finger plays about his culture. That sounds like a really good idea. I also like how you began by writing in first person. It made your blog very realistic.

Janell Lawrence
Beaumont, Ca
Site Supervisor

 


I think the interesting thing about both of these events that you experienced it that it led you here. The grandfather was obviously a bigot and so was the teacher. It is amazing what you over came. Kudos to you

 


Yolanda,
That is ridiculous that a light skinned black man would be prejudiced against people, especially children, when he was in such an admirable position. As for your friends grandparent, he should have kept his opinion to himself. At least he didn't go any farther and disallow you from being friends with her. Thank you for sharing such personal situations.

 

 

 


Very sad Yolanda, but you didn’t want to tattle tell anyway, thinking back. This and other reasons remind us of why we want to make a change. We need to treat all children as equals and hopefully they will grow up and do the same. I always stress the Golden Rule, do onto others as you want them to do onto you. If more people lived by this “Code” the world would be a better place. It’s our mission to make the world a better place and we are better people for living through such life challenges. By the way I have a life friend and she spells her name Jolanda.

 


I am so sorry that you had that awful experience. This reminds of a movie that was out years ago called school daze by Spike Lee. It is really sad women are still judged on the color of their skin.

 

 


Unfortunately, microaggressions are a constant reality for people of color. It is sad to know that in this day and age, people are still being judged by the color of their skin. Yes, racism exists even within one’s own race. I am so sorry about your experience. I was hoping that you would pledge and use the opportunity to combat microaggressions against women of color.


Wow! Good for you for taking a stand and not pledging to that sorority! I believe that we all have a place in this world, sometimes I wonder how exactly to find it, but I know it's out there!It is so hard to teach children about being nice when there are so many "not nice" people out there!


I was personal invited to join that sorority in 1999 when I was in undergrad. I am dark skinned. They don't really follow that brown paper bag rule anymore but most of them are light in complexion. Now they choose people based on class or economic status or privilege. I didn't join that sorority because I did not feel good about it. I really hate how light skin black people can get White privilege because of their lighter skin. This brings such a divide among Black people.

3 comments:

  1. I just wanted to thank you for being such an incredible classmate and that I know you are going to go far.

    Jen Bisignano

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great that you sons are your motivation. Families are wonderful and they make you want to work harder and be the best you can be. i'm sure you are a terrific mother and a caring person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your ideas and life experiences with us. I just love what you said "My professional and personal opinion for all children and families is that no matter what their background, sexual orientation, race, creed, ethics, religion, demographics or culture is that one day all PEOPLE can be treated equal."
    This can also be a professional creed..

    -Zena Turner

    ReplyDelete