Friday, March 8, 2013

Effective Communication


     My mom exhibited great communication skills.  She would ask a probing question and then wait for a response.  She would never interrupt the speaker. I can remember telling her that I wanted to quit school in the 9th grade.  She smiled and said that it was alright with her.  I then looked puzzled because she did not respond the way I expected her to.  Before I would quit she would have to have a loooong talk with me.  I was afraid of the unknown of this conversation.  She asked me why I wanted to quit school.  I responded that I was tired of waking up rushing to catch the bus and that school is boring.  I told her my grades were okay and I could just take and pass the GED.  She listened without judgment.  I continued with my nonsense, she listened.  Toward the end of the conversation, she asked me what kind of job I was going to get and how was I going to get there. I had not thought past the moment.  She provoked me to think about my future.  During the conversation, she communicated verbally and non-verbally.  She supplied feedback and she did not demean my thoughts.  After talking with her, I decided that finishing school would be the best choice for me.

   I have learned from my mom and yes I am attempting to become an effective communicator like she was.  She was effective because she listened, kept eye contact and did not appear to be judgmental.  As I became older, I would say, “Mom, I want to be just like you when I grow up!” She was a sympathetic caring listener who expects people to make the choices that would be a benefit for self.  She always made sure that any person who she spoke to would know that she cared for them.   I think she was a role model that I want to one day follow. 

2 comments:

  1. It is really good to have parents who listen.It makes it difficult to hide things from them.It is great you are making her your role model.When we have people who cares,listen and respect what we have to say,we tend to express ourselves better.I believe for communication to be effective;both parties must be willing to acknowledge and understand the purpose of the communication

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yolanda,

    I am glad you have a mother with such wonderful listening and communication skills. I know that usually mothers when their children tell them something like that they just freak out and do not how to handle the situation. This experience taught you a lot, and I am sure you are able to use that example every time you are in a similar situation.

    ReplyDelete