Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Communication, Anxiety, Verbal Aggression and Listening


      From the evaluation, I noticed there was a three way similarity in one aspect of my communication ability. I am uncomfortable in communicating in some situations.  Right away, I knew it was speaking in front of people whether it was a small group setting or an audience.  I defy public speaking!  I stutter.  When I was a child, I stuttered minimally and often self-corrected.  It appears when I became about 30 years old, I started to stutter more profoundly which causes me to avoid public speaking. I suffer with anxiety and speaking openly raises my anxiety level.   This is one reason that I am so grateful for on-line courses. I am able to express myself without worrying about pronunciations, repeated words or phrases and things like that that don’t bother other people like it does me.    My co-worker agreed that I rate “moderate” when concerning verbal aggression. Whereas my friend from childhood thinks I am verbally aggressive.  I thought not me, I’m a pussy cat. 

     The difference that I noted is that the other two people who evaluated me did not know intense my fear of public speaking is. I won’t inform them either.  In the category of listening, I fall into group 1, which says that I am people oriented which may interfere with my ability to be too trusting.  I disagree with that.  I love people but I don’t trust easily. 

      The first concept that resonates with me is an expert from the text.  The text says, “Your self-concept strongly influences how and when you communicate with others, the reverse is also true; when you interact with other people, you get impressions from them that reveal how they evaluate you as a person and a communicator” (O’Hair & Weismann, 2012). You see, I like to communicate in settings that are small where people see me as just that—a person.  I don’t have to pretend or have a great persona, I just present me.  Secondly, “You let others know about yourself through self-presentation” (O’Hair & Weismann, 2012). I think I present myself better through face-to-face communication and e-mail. I enjoy talking one-on-one and I like to compose material. 

References

O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real communication: An introduction. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.

 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, after reading your first paragraph-I felt I was reading about how I feel when talking in class or to a group. I have never enjoyed being in the spotlight! I can still remember high school and having to read reports to the class-I would get so red, clammy hands, and I couldn’t look at the class, I looked at my paper the whole time. I can talk to people now, but it’s still hard. Thank you for sharing your personal struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your honesty;public speaking could be intimidating; I guess we keep working every time at getting better at it. My driving force as always being courage,being well prepared and remembering each experience is a step towards being better at communicating publicly. I guess evaluating ourselves is highly necessary and finding ways to overcome our challenges at our own pace would make us better communicators.

    ReplyDelete