Sunday, April 7, 2013

Nonviolent Communication and Conflict Management


Statewide testing… Value added scores…lesson plans…. Weekly highlights… testing meetings… kids at nursery before 6:45…family in town for 2 weeks…. Housework… setter late again…are just a few of the things I am dealing with this week.  My housemate’s job is to help me with the kids.  She wants to choose chores that are convenient to her schedule...no sacrifices! WTH kind of assistance is she lending me?  I give her a reduced room and board in exchange for her services.  I feel like she is not living up to her end of the bargain.   Sick and tired that’s what I am. Do you see a conflict? I surely do.  I am getting the short end of the stick.  What am I to do? What have I decided to do to end this conflict? First and foremost I have decided to communicate my feelings to her and allow her to air her grievances.  I am not going to attack her but I will address my concerns that involve her.  I will not get into a shouting match because no one listens when this happens.  I will use some nonviolent communication skills for this situation. I will pay special attention when exhibiting 2 of the 4 components on NVC (http://www.cnvc.org/Training/the-nvc-model).  I will listen empathetically and I will honestly express my feeling.  I will address the issue today because it has festered long enough. 

Reference
http://www.cnvc.org/Training/the-nvc-model

2 comments:

  1. Yolonda, this is definately a touch situation. Having a room mate is just like a marriage because of the close quarters and you for the most part share everything. And you are definately right, this situation could turn into a shouting match and knowone wants to do this. It is not productive and it just gets all involved to upset. A conflict is usually a power struggle and what needs to be done is change the agenda to make it a win/win situation for everyone involved. The strategies of a win/win approach is to go back to the underlying needs, recognize the individual needs of the persons involved, remain open to adapt to the different positions, share information and attitudes, and attack the problem not the people involved (www.crnhq.org).

    ReplyDelete