Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Final Stage of Team Development --Adjourning!


     I am experiencing the adjourning phase right now.  I have worked at the same school for 18 years.  The administration and teachers have come and gone but for the most part, I have really enjoyed my experience at this school. I can say that I have really been supported by a particular group of teachers at this school.  I have seen weddings, and births, and experienced death among the staff. This year I requested and received a transfer to another school because I want to meet new teachers and glean from them.   One experience that sticks out the most with me is when our group member passed.  It was heartbreaking because we were not able to say goodbye.  We knew she was ill but not unto death.  One day she came to school, the next day she was dead.  Nothing could prepare us for that.  We had just completed the behavior part of the School Improvement Plan.  She was a worker dedicated to taking up the slack for those who did not work in our group.  Our group members were allowed to leave school and attend her funeral service that was our goodbye. I wished I realized how sick she really was.  From that experience, I am more cordial and interested in my coworkers.  Our group was not high functioning but we made the best of it by pooling our resources together to complete the job.   I think adjourning is important because it closes the gap of completion. 
     For my Walden University family, I have a bitter sweet feeling about graduation.  I desperately want to graduate but I will miss the support from my colleagues.  This group really helped me work my butt off.  I felt like I could not be satisfied with displaying mediocre work, I had to give my best because we were/are learning from each other. Here it is important what you bring to the table.  I hope that I am able to attend the graduation ceremony—I will make my best effort to be there.  I want to meet each and everyone that I have shared this experience with. 

 

2 comments:

  1. Yolonda,
    I just want to send a thank you for all the support, understanding, and ideas that you have taught me during this class. I was enlightened by your blog and will continue to view it after this class. I hope your professional and personal goals are all met and that you can continue to strive in a positive way through your path of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yolanda thanks so much for all that you have shared in this communication course; you have been very giving of yourself and never stop that! I hope to see you in the future, just as I have in the past. Again, Thanks, Tammy

    ReplyDelete