Saturday, August 17, 2013

All OF GOD'S CHILDREN!


     I am drawn to Mexican people living in poverty because I spent one week on a mission trip in Matamoros, Mexico.  It was an awesome, life changing and gratifying experience.  I had the opportunity to spend days at a vacation Bible School assisting the directors of the camp. While there, I served food, taught English, played games, carried water and ice from the market and spent time with the children.  Too many times, we (Americans) take basic things for granted.  I met people so grateful to God for what little they had.  People invited us into their homes to dine for a home prepared meal.  Each meal consisted of corn tortillas and beans—my favorites.  While I was there, I observed young children carrying water in enormous jugs.  The water was used for drinking, light bathing and washing dishes.  It was scorching hot, humid and sometimes raining but no one complained, they just did what was necessary.  Before I left that trip, I felt as though I connected with the people because in actuality...We are all God's children.

     I read an article about Lucia, who struggled to manage her disease by attending hospital appointments.  She wants nothing more than to attend school and learn.  How noble of her.  She is determined to learn. She attends a  community school whose strives to build better lives for all who attend.  (http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/mexico_62078.html)

     I also read an article which focused on the message of the President of Mexico who made light of the poor children who don’t have access to education and healthcare.  He said, "When most of us think of a poor child, we tend to picture a rural child. We don't imagine as readily a girl living in the shadow of a city school that she will never attend, nor a boy growing up only a short walk from a health clinic he will never enter, nor a family deprived of services enjoyed by those living only streets away" (http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/mexico_61864.html ). I was personally touched by his outcry for help for those who other people probably “walk over” everyday. 

     As a parent, my heart goes out to all children who are impoverished.  As an educator, I need to be abreast on conditions of children worldwide, not just in the U. S.  I can make a difference--- one child at a time.  I will never accept that only children who are local are my concern.  Whatever small part I can contribute to reaching and changing a child’s life, I will.  Where I am in my life now, I can only educate myself so that I may begin to strategically plan how I will contribute to humanity outside of my country.  My trip this summer has taught me that I can donate my time, love and attention to poor children and that is a start to changing lives. 

1 comment:

  1. Yolonda,
    Thank you for sharing your experience working in Mexico for a short time. I also enjoyed your comment with the supported resources that children in poverty do not just live in the rural areas how many people think, but in the cities as well. Poverty as well as all other aspects of being a person such as race, culture, and education factors affected everyone no matter then environment.

    ReplyDelete