Saturday, June 30, 2012

Establishing Professional Contacts and Expanding Resources

Colleagues,
     I was really excited about this assignment.  In our Foundations course, we studied how people in other countries address topics, like poverty, divorce, breast-feeding, water, etc.  I learned so much! This assignment reminds me of having a pin pal in another country.  I composed a letter and e-mailed it to ten contacts because I wanted to make sure I had a minimum contact list after I get responses.  Alright, I haven’t received any responses yet but I am hopeful that I will get at least 3 solid contacts.  One thing I was worried about was the contact language.  Even though I speak English, I wonder if my contact will need to translate my letter or do they speak English?  I guess I will have to wait for that.
    In order to establish contacts, I utilized the Blog Assignment Resource provided by our instructor. I opened this site :The Global Alliance of NAEYC has e-mail addresses for early childhood professionals worldwide: http://www.naeyc.org/resources/partnership/globalalliance.  Once I was there, I chose a country and used the e-mail addresses listed.  Now I am anxiously awaiting responses. I have e-mailed so many contacts that I am hopeful that I will not have to use an alternative assignment. 
      I also chose Pre[K]Now: A Campaign of the Pew Center on the States
http://www.pewcenteronthestates.org/initiatives_detail.aspx?initiativeID=31672(Newsletter: http://www.preknow.org/signupform.cfm) to study in this course.  I chose this site from the Early Childhood Websites listed in the Blog Resources. 

 

 

FYI:
Dear Colleague,
I am a graduate student in the United States of America who is studying Early Childhood Education. I am studying via an online education at Walden University.   I am interested in current trends in the field of educating youth in your country.   If it is possible, I will be contacting you once a week for the next 8 weeks concerning your country’s education system. I am a primary school teacher who studies children with disabilities. I have been teaching for 17 years and am very interested in how other countries educate.   I realize what we do is important to the economic structure of  both of our countries because after all, “Our Children are our Future.” 
Can you please help me to get to know your education system for youths from birth to 8 years old?  I can be reached via school e-mail: yolonda.honore@waldenu.edu. Thanks for your time and cooperation.  
Thank you,
Yolonda Honore'

5 comments:

  1. Yolanda,

    I like your determination in reaching out to ten international colleagues to hopefully receive a response and begin dialogue. Good strategy!

    PRE-K Now is a wonderful organization to research.

    I look forward to the continuing development of your Blog this term.

    Dr Longo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dr. Longo,
      I have already received some undeliverable mail but I am still determined to be persistant. Pre-K Now caught my attention because it was a wealth of information all rolled up into one. Also, this is my fourth course at Walden Univ. and you are the FIRST instructor to post on my site. A big THANK YOU for act of kindness, I am encouraged!

      Delete
  2. Yolanda,
    I liked your letter that you sent! I hope that you are successful in your responses. I have already gotten three returned/undeliverable e-mails.
    There is a website called www.freetranslation.com that allows you to translate text. If the e-mails are returned in other languages, I will use this to help me translate.
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi,
      Good idea, I've had to use a free translation site for personal reasons. I enjoyed using it to translate English to Spanish, it gave me a sense of empowerment.

      Delete
  3. Yolanda,

    I like your idea of emailing a few different contacts. I hope you hear from them soon. I'm also waiting to hear back from the two I emailed. I'm excited to hear more information from Pre-K Now, since that's a new resource for me.

    ReplyDelete