Saturday, July 7, 2012

Sharing Web Resources

Sharing Web Resources
 The organization I choose is the Pew Center on the StatesGood policy depends on good information”. (http://www.pewstates.org/projects/pre-k-now-328067) The PEW Center on the State completed a 10 year study which is challenging the states to change the face of education to include  pre-K education and move away from K-12 grade levels. Why should this be done? In the information provided  on the site, researchers say that vital learning happens before the age of five.  The information continues by stating “to ensure that all children fulfill their potential as individuals and citizens, we must re-imagine public education as a system that begins not with kindergarten, but with quality pre-k, and builds on that foundation to raise performance in later grades”.
     The article which resonated with me was “Children’s Dental Campaign.” The author stated “tooth decay affects 60% of kids and untreated, the consequences can be painful and disruptive to learning and daily activities.” Also, the Dental Campaign promotes cost effective strategies to provide high quality care to children whose household income is low.  A few of the efforts included  to increase services are access to fluoride water, ensuring that Medicaid is efficient and expanding the number of professionals who provide dental care. Additionally, PEW works with a variety of agencies, lawmakers (national and local) targeting states in which policy changes can dramatically improve children’s lives.

5 comments:

  1. Hello, Yolanda!
    I liked your quote about imagining public education beginning with Pre-K! I think this is vital. Since the early years are learning years, I hope that policymakers see the value of providing quality education to the youngest children. I also think that the emphasis about dental health is a good one, as many students do not have adequate access to good dental care. Thanks for the information about Pew!
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yolonda-

    When I read your article, I thought about all the times I went to the dentist for tooth pain. Pain is an awful experience, and if someone has to deal with that for longer amounts of time, this can be a very traumatic experience...especially for young children! I often take for granted that I am able to go to the dentist to get my teeth checked and have the pain removed if I ever have tooth pain. I am also amazed at the statistic of 60% of children who suffer from tooth decay. That is a lot! What a wonderful organization to follow.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yolonda,
    The more we have been learning that early childhood years are the fundamental years in a child’s life, the more I am certain that a quality pre-K education is essential. It is high time that such reforms take place here in UAE as well. I appreciate your concern over dental health. From what I have noticed, out here parents are very regular and up-to-date to take their children for their vaccinations but when it comes to dental hygiene they do not show the same enthusiasm. My husband is a dentist and he tells me of cases of young children with cavities. It just shows parents negligence. As health is the basic element of a child’s well being it is essential to give the due importance to health care which also includes dental care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deepa,
      Concerning dental care, I was so happy when it was time for my twins to have their 1st dental visit. I told all my friends when the dentist said they did not have any cavities. I was suprised because my child who has Autism gives me a hard time daily when it is time to brush. He won't allow me to floss at all, so for him to have a good check-up, I was suprised.

      Delete
    2. So yes Deepa, dental care is equally important.

      Delete