Friday, May 25, 2012

My Connection to Play!

“Children need the freedom and time to play. Play is not a luxury.
Play is a necessity.” Kay Redfield Jamison (professor of psychiatry)

“Play is the beginning of knowledge.” ~ Anonymous

“Raggedy Ann” 
    
     Raggedy Ann was my favorite doll.  I was an only child for nine years.  She served as my sister and playmate.  I can remember being in a car accident where I had to be pried out of the car and I insisted that she come to the hospital with me.  I must have a great doctor because as he checked me, he checked Raggedy Ann too.  Raggedy Ann and I had to go to counseling after the car accident because we would not sit in the front seat again.  Counseling didn’t work for us.  It was not until I visited my grandparents and my cousins would argue to sit in the front seat.  While observing that, I decided to sit in the front seat again with Raggedy Ann. 


“Telephone”
     For my 4th birthday, I was given a big red telephone as a gift.  I was so happy because I was able to imitate my mama when she spoke with my grandma.  I would often pretend to call my cousins from Louisiana. That was a toy that I did not stop playing with until it broke.  I can’t even remember how it broke. 


“Bouncing Ball”
     This was the best outdoor toy that I remember having.  I was the envy of the neighborhood because no one else owned one.   All of the kids wanted to bounce on it so we always had fun taking turns.  It was a gift from my dad who told me he bought it from China for me.  I thought that was special but I didn’t know what China was. 

     For me, play was sometimes used as a means of escape.  For a short time in my life, I lived with an abusive widowed mother.  I was able to talk to my doll and treat her extra nice because that was the way mamas were supposed to treat their children. Play was also used for me to pretend to be “grown up.” I wanted badly to be like the pretty lady across the street.  She was my role model because she would take time to play games with the children in the neighborhood.

      My parents attempted to give me a small amount of toys and always supported me playing with bed sheets and making tents throughout the house.  My grandparents were an integral part of play for me.  They would allow me to go to their barn and run up the corn stacks and slide down like I was on a mountain. 

     Today, I am disappointed in the way most children engage in play.  Hand electronic games  and computer games can be played without sharing and ignoring the child’s surroundings.  Sure those games teach hand eye coordination and some skills but it omits socialization.  I notice when my 10 year old son is permitted to play with a gaming system, he ignores everything around him.  He won’t even stop to eat or use the restroom.  I am convinced that the use of so many electronic games have taken away kid’s ability to use their imagination. I think a good imagination makes a great writer.

      I have been encouraged to engage in some type of play since I can remember.  I enjoy the competition.  As an adult, I play  with my children. Each night,  I pretend to drink lemonade made from my son’s bath water.  It’s gross but it’s true.  He squeezes pretend lemons and hands me a cup, so I pretend to drink it.  Apart from my children, I  enjoy playing word  games with friends.  I think it keeps me mentally sharp.


4 comments:

  1. Yolonda,

    Thank you for reminding me of the joys of the play telephone (yes, the rotary kind)and the hippity hop balls (or as my uncle called them - kangaroo balls).

    What good company our toys can be when there are no siblings to play with! And, yes, play can be very theraputic, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Yolonda Raaggedy Ann! I had one too. My aunt could make them & she made one for me. It was a special toy. What a great reminder!

      Tachanda

      Delete
  2. The phone was always a favorite growing up! It still is with my kids today ... it's one of the ways children can learn about the adult world around them. What always cracks me up is how they have their one-sided conversations!
    And don't worry about the lemonade -- we have coffee in our bath! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does your coffee have bubbles on top? Our lemonade does. lol! Thanks for your reply. I am trying to get on your page but with no success.

      Delete