Thursday, June 20, 2013

Creating Art!

For this assignment I chose to create a photo collage!



























In this course, I did have to rethink Early Childhood Education.  There were many topics  I had not considered before this academic journey.  I first had to observe the bias within myself before I could continue in this course.  I asked myself questions like: How would I respond to a child and their family with same-sex parents?  Am I  partial to traditional families?  Am I a fair educator? How do I view the poor? The handicap? Is using the retarded acceptable? Are the class materials that I read to my students favoring one group of people and isolating another? Do I present the world to my students?  Am I portraying a narrow view of the world to my students?  Am I accepting of other cultures?  Do I accommodate students who do not speak English? This course was excellent for me because it had a mirror effect.. I saw myself.  Now I am able to admit my biases and work on it for the greater good of my profession,  student and their families.  Did this course assist you in finding your stance as an early childhood educator?  Are you diverse or are you willing to become diverse? 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Yolonda, I identified closely with all the questions you have asked yourself. Seeing oneself as you really are is not always as easy as it would seem. More importantly once one has identified one's biases, is being willing to change and recognizing that it is a process one has to undergo. Regularly self reflection is imperative to maintaining an open and receptive mind and attitude. You have also selected some powerful images to help depict your learning and understanding. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete