Thursday, January 24, 2013

Perspectives on Diversity and Culture

Perspectives on Diversity and Culture
Amanda
What is your definition of culture?
Culture is how people do things.  For example, the way a person wears their hair, body language, foods and holidays.
What is your definition of diversity?
When I think of diversity, I think of how people are different.  For example, how people are different.
Holly
What is your definition of culture?
Culture is an appreciation of fine arts, humanities

What is your definition of diversity?
Diversity in the classroom means students from different walks of life. Like race, ethnicity, sexual orientation etc.
****************************************************
Ian
What is your definition of culture?
Culture has to do with where a person is from, what values they have and uphold, how they judge the world and how they raise their kids.
What is your definition of diversity?
Diversity is different and unique.
******************************************************

      According to the authors of the text, “Culture refers to how particular groups live.  It is the way we eat, sleep, talk, play, care for the sick, relate to one another, think about work, arrange our kitchens and remember the dead” (Derman-Sparks, Edwards, 2011). I think Amanda’s definition came very close to what the authors say culture is because she said “It is how people do things.” Ian assumed “it was the way people raise their kids.” Comparably, I think each participant in this questionnaire expressed valid points concerning culture.   No one spoke of deep and surface culture.  From my readings, I gather surface culture is what I can observe whereas deep culture has a root which is not easily observed. 
     It appears  all participants said diversity had to do with different.  One person added unique as well.  I  thought that was a good analogy because uniqueness does have its roots in diversity.   Holly gave an example of sexual orientation, I had not thought of using this as an example of diversity. 
     From this short questionnaire, if I were to solicit more responses to the questions, I probably would have a greater variety or varying degrees of this definitions.   Personally, I have noted that cultural diversity in Language in public places.  I can remember a time when English was the  ONLY  Language printed for public views.  Now recognizing the inflow of many cultures into the United States, I observe a multitude of Language printed for Americans to view.  For example, I was in the Social Security Office, the Department of Motor Vehicle and the Office of Family Services offices and noted Spanish, French and Vietnamese Languages printed on materials.  Look how far the U. S. has come without saying, look how far we still need to go.   
Reference
Derman-Sparks, L. & Edwards, J. (2010).  Anti-Bias for Young Children and Ourselves. National Association for the Education of Young Children: Washington, DC.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the way you set up your questionnaire. I think it is amazing how everyone has their own definition of what culture and diversity is. Before taking this class I thought it was something that was taught but now I understand that these are conclusions people made along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post ! As expected, everyone has their own definition for culture and diversity. I think it is very interesting how we are all different in our own way, yet we sometimes fail to embrace the differences in others. I strongly believe that respecting cultural diversity is the first step to accommodate people from diverse cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Jennifer, I find it amazing how everyone has their own definition of culture and diversity. I find others differences a joy, a pleasure. I try not to take others for granted but one thing I know is that there is beauty in everyone. Beauty comes from within but it can also be on the outside too. Do you think it would benefit Americans to learn English since this is such a common language in our country today?

    Stacy Perry
    Seymour, Tennessee
    Stay-at-home-Mommy

    ReplyDelete