Saturday, January 19, 2013

My Family Culture


EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT!
     A series of Tsunamis have completely devastated the infrastructure of the United States of America.  In an effort to assist the country, other countries are willing to accept refugees. 
     My children and I have barely survived the devastating events.  What will do? Where will we go? Which country will accept us? Permanent residents in another country, how will we survive? Refugees, is that what we are now called? My mind is racing a million miles a minute! I have been given the daunting task of packing one set of clothing for each us.  Additionally, I am able to take only three small items with us.  What we take?
     For starters, we will take a bible.  God has given us his word to live and grow by.  We will use the Word to guide us through a daily devotional study.  If allowed, we will share our faith.  We will memorize scripture to teach and comfort us when we think that we are unable to make it through this catastrophe.  We will use the teachings of the disciples to teach us how to live, love and grow. 
     Secondly, I will take a family portrait of us to help remember what was normal to us.  We will collectively reminisce of the time we took the picture, where we were going and why we were going there.  This is a picture of me and my twin boys.  We were about to go to church to worship God.  After the service, we went to Chucky Cheese’s for an outing.  Just a regular Sunday filled with sharing and fun times—a sense of normalcy.
     Finally, we would take my boys’ favorite book “Five Little Monkey’s!” I read this book so much to my boys when they were infants by the time they were able to speak; they were reading it to me as my night time story.  Now at four years old, they find high frequency words in the book.  Literacy has been a part of their lives early. 
     As we approach the border of the country—we cannot even identify where we are—we overhear others saying that we cannot bring anything but our clothing and one personal item.  I panic! I hurriedly prepare myself to leave everything but the picture but then I have lost it in all of the rush.  The reason I chose to leave the other items are because I believe we have enough scripture in our hearts for us to remain faithful to God.  Leaving the boys book would be okay to leave because we have memorized it anyway.
     From this activity, I have learned that to be blessed with a loving family would be all that I need to make a new start in a foreign land.  Things are nice but things can always be replaced.  Our love for each other will help us through the tough times and the good times.
Yolonda Honore'
Houma, LA
Special Education Teacher,
2nd - 6th Grades

3 comments:

  1. Yolanda, I think it is a good idea to take your little boy's favorive book. A piece of home that he will never forget and always has it in his posession to remind him of how the world and his family used to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think about us, wouldn't we want to have a little piece of home with us abroad?

      Delete
  2. I love how you wrote this. And you are right, it really doesn't matter if you can't take these items because you have your family and that's all we need to feel safe, loved and happy.

    ReplyDelete