Saturday, November 17, 2012

Research that Benefit Children and Families


Option 2:

   If I were able to research a topic that would benefit young children and their families, the topic would be “Predictors of Behavior Problems.” This subject became exceedingly personal to me in my early years of teaching.  I taught a group of students who were labeled “Behavior Disorders--BD.” The toughest job, I ever had.  The class was comprised of nine boys ranging from five years to twelve years old.  All students had an initial exceptionality diagnosis of Development Delays. Fights galore, attempting to jump out of the window, hiding in tree branches and removing clothes were just a few of the obstacles that my para and I faced on a daily basis. Those boys were out of control! I had not experienced this type of student.  I sought advice from my mentor who advised me to “Pray.” I was looking of a way out, so I gratefully received her advice.  It helped because I made social skill primary then academics.  That was in the days when teachers were able to do what was best for their students. 
     As I researched this topic, I came across an article that had a direct link noted in the title. “Early Predictors of Behavior Problems: Two Years after Early Intervention” which spoke the sentiments of what I was thinking.  The author listed three common findings linking difficult behaviors to primary years:  “The first was reported that as early as age 3, chal­lenging behaviors were associated with certain syndromes and conditions. The second found that children who are delayed in their development have difficulties in the self-regulatory skills necessary to maintain appropriate behavior. The third said family factors have been associated with challeng­ing behaviors exhibited by children.” (Darcy, 2009, p. 4)
     I would spend my time delivering evidence that these really are the causes of behavior difficulties/problems in young children.  I think that if these options can be further supported, I would be able to present my research-based evidence to the Department of Education so that my team and I could restructure Early Childhood Education in the United States in that we would allocate more money to partnerships with families of young children.  I believe that a child who can learn basic social skills and academics would be less of a burden to our society in the future. 
 
Reference
Darcy, B. M., & Penny Hauser-Cram. (2009). Early predictors of behavior problems. Journal of Early Intervention, 32(1), 3-16. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1053815109349113
 

3 comments:

  1. Nice post.Flexibility in our teaching strategies should be one important attribute every educator should possess.social skills is very important to children's learning and development.it is necessary that we focus first and more on helping children learn these skills first then academics would follow.I hope your research yields positive Result and contributeS to making changes in children with behavioral problems .Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post! I know my daughter was diagnosed as being developmentally delayed. She was born at 26 weeks and stayed in NICU for 8 months. She has some behavior problems but they are manageable. We are very supportive and praiseful of her every accomplishment. My daughter is a hsppy and blessed child. Yolonda I'm from the Who Dat Nation too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yolonda, very interesting research, thanks for embracing the children in your class. I also had a child which was labled and through support and his IEP we were able to push him foward into his adult life with great success. Thanks for sharing, and enabling our youth.

    ReplyDelete