Thursday, November 29, 2012

Research Around the World

     Before this course, I did not realize that research among children internationally was such a hot topic.  I researched http://www.eecera.org/journal.  This European Early Childhood Education Research Association was composed of simply research journals.  I was able to locate several interesting articles about children and research.   “Introducing children’s perspectives and participation in research” was the first article I was lead to. This topic interested me because of our Week 5 Discussion.  Question one part B, “What should researchers know about children in general, child development, and/or children’s families before collecting data from children through interviews and/or through observation?  Focusing on the section and answering the question that researchers should know that listening to children in research is essential.   The author of this article expressed, “The underlying philosophy of each article is that all young children have the competence to engage in research as sophisticated thinkers and communicators and that the inclusion of children’s views are pivotal if we are to understand their life worlds” (http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/1350293X.2011.597962). I think this is an particularly important fact that researchers should know about children.  “The view of children as citizens relates also to a new image of the child as a competent participant in research” was stated by the authors of the course text (Naughton, Rolfe, & Blatchford, 2010). It appears to me that it is evident, if one wants to collect information about children; children should be allowed to contribute in the research. 
     From exploring this website, I learned that the European Early Childhood Educators Researcher Association (EECHERA) has a Special Interest Group (SIG).  This group consists of a system of a group of researchers from dissimilar institutions disciplines and countries who desire to join forces around a specific theme or issue in early childhood education and care.
 The aims of SIGS are:
• “to generate critical reflection on that theme or issue;
• to encourage the emergence of cross-national perspectives;
• to support innovative and reflexive research on current ECEC issues and themes through international collaboration. (http://www.eecera.org/documents/pdf/sigs/sigFaqs.pdf)
     From this site, I noted that some of the back issues were free to download whereas more current journal issues were available to purchase.  I found issues online dating back to 1993. I was not sure of how or why some issues were free while others were not.  On this site, the authors contend that this organization holds the largest early childhood research conference in Europe.

Reference

Mac Naughton, G., Rolfe, S.A., & Siraj-Blatchford, I. (2010). Doing early childhood research: International perspectives on theory and practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Yolonda-
    Very detailed and descriptive post! I also chose to read and learn more about this research association, and I was amazed at how many various research topics they targeted. I agree with you in that we must see children as sophisticated thinkers and communicators as they play an important role when trying to understand how children think and learn. I will have to look back in how you were able to download some of the current journal issues from that website. I didn't see how to do that, but thank you for the tip! What a good resource!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post.It is good to hear and read about research works that validate the important role of children as active participant in
    research processes,I feel the more we engage children's views and opinions about issues affecting them and their development,the more we would have a clearer and precise ways to address these issues,since the information acquired would be based on their own perspective

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Yolonda!

    Great post. Thanks for sharing such great information. After reading your post I decided to read the information for myself and I found it to be very interseting. I also agree with you about seeing children as thinkers and communicators I keep this in mind as I work with children on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yolanda,
    I think you're absolutely right! If a child is able to participate in a research study, then they should be able to participate in the research itself. If we're interested in researching a specific topic on a child, who else would be the most knowledgeable on that subject other than the child. Children have the most valuable information we seek as early childhood researchers. As researchers, we need to be able to differentiate between the subject and the individual.

    ReplyDelete