Monday, April 16, 2012

When I Think of Child Development.....

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men."
- Frederick Douglass
When does the building start? Where does the building start? Who does the building start with? How much does it cost to build?  When I read this quote, I was taken to the memory of my dear uncle.  My grandparents did the best they could with their youngest child but it wasn’t good enough.  Uncle Allen was the youngest of 10 children. He was spoiled by each of his sibling and parents –eventually, he was cultivated into a young tyrant.  In middle childhood, he did what he wanted when he wanted to. (He didn’t live by any of the values shared by his siblings.)   By this time, he had become a juvenile delinquent and a menace to society.  So when and where didn’t the building start? Unfortunately, Uncle Allen never had a chance a youngster.  I’d like to evaluate his beginning.  As a Kindergartener, he was at the top of his class.  Our fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Allen once told me that I should have been as smart as my uncle.  I assume he was at the top of his class then.  By the time he was in 5th grade, he started to skip school.  He was given too many chances by the hometown judge and spent only one month in the detention center.  By 6th grade, he avoided school altogether, ran away and became a drug addict.  Uncle Allen was not built correctly.  Why do I say this? He learned from a youth to take what you want and it is alright.  He was given his hearts desires without one requirement, he didn’t have to work for anything.  He didn’t so much as take out the garbage or clean the bath tub after he finished using it. All meals were served on the table and his dirty dishes were left for someone else to remove.  Who did the building? No one instilled a work ethic in him. The cost of the building was time.  No one cared enough to give him time.  Consequently, he was incarcerated most of his adult life and died with a drug needle in his arm.  I am grieved that he was built wrong and was never able to be repaired.  To all my classmates, as early childhood interventionists let’s make knowledge and the thirst thereof the core of our professional goal.  For we have the power to change a life and touch hearts by what we impart to our students today. 

6 comments:

  1. Yolanda,
    I was touched by the quote that you used! Your points about taking time to build are so true! Time is what so many of the children I work with crave. As an educator, I think that investing time in a child's life is one of the greatest we can make. Thank you for sharing about your uncle. I wish you success in your future classes and in your career. Thanks for your insightful, personal posts in this course. I learned a great deal!
    Sincerely,
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yolanda,
      I was touched by your quote! Great research. It was nice to learn a little about you and your family. Good luck in all of your future endeavors!

      Tachanda

      Delete
  2. Hi Yolonda,
    Thanks for sharing your uncle’s story, which I found related to your quote, because as adults we are the reflection of our childhood, and as early childhood professionals, we have in our hands the huge opportunity to help future adults become positive agents of change in our society.

    Looking forward to work with you in future courses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yolonda,
    "In early childhood you may lay the foundation of poverty or riches, industry of idleness, good or evil, by the habits to which you train your children. Teach them right habits then, and their future life is safe.” - Lydia Sigourney
    I have enjoyed reading your posts and thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge with us, making our learning experience a fruitful one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yolonda,
    I have enjoyed your posts and discussion contributions. It is always good to find a cohort! I look forward to our paths crossing again on this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To all my classmates, you are truly a special group of individuals...I appreciate your words of kindness & especially your insightful influences. Please make every effort to lay a strong foundation for our youth because we might be the only positive role models they see.. Take care on your journey.

    ReplyDelete