Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Time Well Spent!


     As the end has drawn near, I feel mixed emotions.  I’m happy to be a candidate for graduation, sad (about leaving the safe environment of the university) and excited about what the future holds for me.  I have learned that before I can “fix” the early childhood field, I need to be able to recognize my own biases and make sure that I am able to fairly lend what traits I have to early childhood.  I’ve also learned from the program, that I will not know everything and should not wait to become an advocate for children and families. Start where you are! This also resonated with me; all people want the best for their children but may not have the knowledge to give it to them.  That’s where I come in.  I can be the link to assisting families help their children attain a great education and make a contribution to society.

     My long-term goal is to open a chain of anti-bias high quality early childhood centers throughout the United States and Mexico. I believe knowledge is power and I want to reach people who want to break the cycle of poverty through education.  I will write grants and seek private donations to fund the projects.   

     To my colleagues and professors, I have truly enjoyed this journey.  I will not forget the support and encouraging words of wisdom from you guys.  I feel as though I was a part of a family not an institution and you guys made it possible. I hope to one day meet my professors and colleagues in person so that I can personally thank you.  It’s been an exciting beginning and in a few years, I hope that we meet in a joint advocacy effort. 

Yolonda S. Honore’   yolondahonore40@yahoo.com

5 comments:

  1. Yolonda,
    Thank you for sharing your goals, passions and dreams over this course. One of the things that I am taking with my from my studies is to recognize my own bias's and overcome them to be the best I can be. I wish you the best in your future endeavors. Congratulations
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yolonda, I have enjoyed reading and learning from your discussion and blog posts throughout this course! I wish you well in your future endeavors. Good luck and take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yolonda,
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with all of us through this course. I couldn't agree more with you that in our role as professionals we may be the connecting piece for families to access information and services that will positivley impact their family and improve their child's development and learning. I wish you the best of luck with your goals and future endeavors! Congratulations on your acheivements at Walden as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yolanda,
    Thanks for reminding me that advocacy does not have to be this enourmous attempt, but advocacy can start with simply writing a letter. Best wishes as you continue to focus on providing an anti-bias through out these United States because it is really needed. Thank you for all you have shared throughout this course!

    ReplyDelete