Saturday, August 4, 2012

Sharing Web Resources Week 6

Sharing Internet Resources
http://www.pewstates.org/
The link I chose to explore in the PEWS site was this one which referenced home visiting.
Why home visits? The review expressed that some of the most costly social problems are rooted in early childhood.  The article notes home visits for the first three years of life (a critical developmental period) leads to fewer children in social welfare, mental health, and juvenile corrections systems, with considerable cost savings for states. My twins were provided with services from the state, “Early Steps” which helped me tremendously with obtaining services for my children.  They received a program coordinator, special instructor, occupational and physical therapists, adapted physical education teacher and a vision therapist. With the help of God, friends and these services, my children received services that would not have known about.  Home visits are valuable asset to children and families.
Please view this video clip of a home visit.
Next, I was lead to this link.
This link shares how Michigan mandates that home visiting programs track and measure outcomes such as fewer preterm births, reduction in child abuse, improved family self-sufficiency and increased school readiness. Also, the law ensures that the state’s investment in home visiting goes to proven, effective programs.

From that link, I was lead to
http://www.pewstates.org/research/reports/medicaid-financing-of-early-childhood-home-visiting-programs-85899401369

This site recognizes a variety of funding streams that support home visiting programs.  Then says Medicaid has the ability to reach so many recipients who are at risk can finance home visiting services for eligible mothers and children at risk.  I though this report was quite interesting because it would provide services needed for families to thrive.  I pictured home visiting as a professional telling the family what to do but from my experiences and what I have viewed in this report, the professionals demonstrate to the parent healthy parenting skills.  It also states that within Medicaid services are various mechanisms that are available to support home visiting programs.

By scaffolding through this site, I have become familiar with different views of home visiting.  I have gained information on the funding aspect, professional aspect and a recipient’s aspect.  I learned that home visiting is a popular means to help get families on track of raising their families.  Also, people who receive home visits obtain help with other aspects of their life, like education and job searches.  Good site for early childhood educators to visit!

8 comments:

  1. Yolanda,
    Thanks for the links about home visits! I enjoyed the informative video! You could hear the pride in Astiare's voice as she discussed her son and the benefits of home visits. I think this would be beneficial for states. I am going to research this in my state. What is the policy in your state?
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi,
      We have a program here called Early Steps that provide home visits to low income and developmentally delayed infants up to 36 months. Because my children were born at 23 5/7 weeks, they qualified for the program. And yes it was beneficial to us.

      Delete
  2. Hi Yolonda-
    Yes, I also agree that home visits are valuable, and I am very thankful I am given the time to do home visits at the beginning of each school year. In completing my research for this week, I discovered that Michigan is the number one state to increase funding for the home visit initiative. Michigan increased $6.14 million from 2010 to 2011 in allowing educators to enter the homes of young children. What a great way to help and support families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yolonda,
    I at this point feel envious. Here in UAE we are so deprived of such facilities. How I wish we too had/have such help and support. Neither did we have any when my son was small and diagnosed with ADHD and nor do we still have any. Right now he is having his 2 months summer break. There are lots of summer camps but none cater to special needs children. Neither does his school offer any summer classes. So he is left at home absolutely bored with nothing to engage him in. How I wish there was a team like you had for your twins – a program coordinator, therapists and instructor. You are absolutely right “Home visits are valuable asset to children and families”.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deepa,
      I feel your pain. As educators and parents, we realize that our children(special needs) need more than our society has to offer. I am already trying to think of what I can do for my son next summer that will engage him. Soon he will be four and because he is taller than the average kid, it is more obvious that he is "different". He is 7 inches taller than his twin. I have to continue to remind myself that he is a blessing from God and that God will make a way! Be encouraged!

      Delete
  4. Hi Yolanda,

    Thanks for sharing information about home visiting. Home visiting in an invaluable service that has tremendously benefits for children and their families. Unfortunately in this country this is something yet, people do not understand how can benefit, and many times is overlooked in the early childhood field. In Australia, they have a home visiting program for all children born regardless of the socio-economic status and the program have excellent results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi yolanda Home visits are crucial this lets you know where the families are and where they can go with a little help and push from the community as well as the child's educator.

    ReplyDelete